Sunday 23 April 2017

Let's talk Menopause

I'd like to say that the above image isn't representative of the menopause but sadly for so many women it really does seem to be the case. Personally I had more trouble with the Peri-Menopause than the menopause itself! Oh yes, dear girlfriends there are 3 stages of this nonsense; Peri-menopause starts anywhere from late 30's to early 40's. That's when periods start to be erratic and often heavy. For me, that was the very worst part and I had some awful embarrassing times when my periods were so heavy I was afraid to go into meetings or out and about in case I had 'an accident'!  Menopause and then there is the post-Menopause anywhere from 10 months to 4 years after where most if not all the symptoms come to an end. 

So -  The Menopause - generally starting around 48 - 50 years old - this is where periods stop! It's a natural part of ageing and happens because Oestrogen levels decline.  Common symptoms include all of the above in the picture but also depression, vaginal dryness (try putting that in a picture) and often reduced sex drive. 

For many women it's a relief to not have the bother of periods anymore, for others it's often seen as a loss - there is no longer any chance of having children.  There's often a sense of loss of femininity as well due to the physical changes we undergo. Because of the lack of Oestrogen there are also associated health risks; Bone density changes, hair becomes thinner etc, bladder loss of control etc, etc. 
If you read about menopause you will see a whole load of things you can do; HRT, natural remedies, vitamins, dietary stuff - interestingly Japanese women rarely have hot flushes or sweats as they traditionally have a low fat and high in soy products (tofu etc).

For me the Menopause and since has been ok'ish - I would say the mood swings were the worst but I've always been a crotchety prickly person, so not much new there! 
The hot flushes were probably the worst, but it's nothing to be ashamed of so I made fun out of them when other people were around me. As for sheets or duvets - who needs them! Windows open - windows closed every 2 minutes - so what! 
Interestingly I found that sweet things (including wine - 😢😢😢) made me worse.........??? 

I don't miss periods in the slightest - I was bloody glad to see the back of the monthly blighters! I have taken the opportunity to look at my diet and try to be healthier in my food choices.  I did explore HRT but chose not to go down that route.  I think you just have to remember that this is natures way of bringing a natural close to our child bearing age and on to the next exciting bit of our lives - free from periods, fear or pregnancy and a time to learn who we really are........... What do you think?? 


No comments:

Post a Comment